|Culinary Weight-Loss Challenge Heats Up|
|Written by Mitch Kostuch|
|Wednesday, 18 July 2012 14:09|
ORLANDO, Fla. — The presidential challenge between the American Culinary Federations (ACF) national president Michael Ty and Canadian Culinary Federation (CCFCC) president Donald Gyurkovits is heating up with a third participant stepping forward.
The ‘President to President Chef’s Weight-Loss Challenge,’ was spontaneously conceived earlier this week at the 2012 ACF National Convention at the Marriot World Centre in Orlando, Fla.
The challenge calls for each participant to lose at least 100 pounds, with the greatest loser named the winner. Culinary professional Robert Irvine, host of the Food Network’s Restaurant: Impossible, agreed to be the judge and referee.
The third volunteer participant is John Kacala, senior executive chef and business review specialist, Sysco Columbia, LLC, Columbia, SC. “I’ve decided I need to lose 100 pounds,” he told Mitch Kostuch, group publisher, Foodservice and Hospitality magazine, “and this gives me the incentive to get started immediately after this conference.”
When discussing the third possible entrant with Gyurkovits and Ty, Gyurkovits commented, “Why don’t we make it a fundraiser for both our associations? We could use the funds for scholarships in both countries.” An entry price of $500 or $1,000 was suggested but not confirmed. When told of a possible entry fee, Kacala said, “I’ll have to think about that, I just want to lose the weight, and I could do it contest or no contest. It gives me the incentive to get started.”
Gyurkovits and Ty also had pre-challenge (before) photos taken at the ACF’s American Academy of Chefs dinner, including one with Kostuch being treated as the ham in a sandwich. The two contestants hope to work out more details over the next several weeks.
photos courtesy of Michael Kocher